Urgent need of help with three technical terms

Karl kaputt karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 08:35:30 MST 2006

>From: David Skolnik <davidskolnik at optonline.net>

>My first thought was to suggest that you try impersonating a German
>engineer, and come up with a lengthy, un-hyphenated word that describes
>exactly what it is and what it does.  Something like:
>uprighthammershankstrikedistancedifferentialanglunginn.

I think you got the wrong impression about how we Germans name the things.
It´s much easier!
Andreas, the German word is "Stilschräge" which would be translated word by
word as "shaft skewness".

If you work as a translator you should think about buying the famous book
Piano Nomenclatur by Nikolaus Schimmel. A German publication of the names of
piano parts in German, English, French, Italian, Norwegian, and Spanish. I
never read it, but I think it could be very usefull.

By the way: does anyone have a link to a site where the English names of
piano parts are shown along with a picture of a piano or action?

Gregor