Work Benches

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 01:16:03 MST 2006

William said: "The main idea behind something like the masonite is that it
is sacrificial.
If you need to do something that might be detrimental to a nice maple
workbench, throw a fitted piece of masonite on top and whack away. If it
gets too ugly, toss it and fit another, but save that maple."

William,
I agree with this philosophy. However, Joel was talking about a Regulation
Bench. NOT a hammer/slammer bench. I have Four work benches in my small
shop. My main grand bench, which is 3' X 7' X 2" Laminated Maple w/ two-way
drawers for tools, a Bureau end for major tools, etc. It is the heart of my
shop. The other benches: 1. The key bench w/a machinist's vise mounted on
it. Lot's of things are done on this bench other than it's prime label of
Key Bench. 2.Upright Action Bench,. (lower than the main bench) It has a
woodworkers Vise mounted on it. Much woodworking, such a planing are done
on this bench. 3. Miscellaneous Bench. Odd stuff and lay-out are done on
this bench. It has various vises that can be clamped onto it, for
specialized work. Each has a different type of top.<G>
A work bench can be more than just a work bench. It can be a specialized
storage for tools, special woods, specialty tools, power tools....the list
is never ending.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police