Urgent need of help with three technical terms

Andreas Risberg garheimer at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:29:55 MST 2006

Fellow colleagues,

I am new to the list and I’m in urgent need of help. Currently I’m working
on translating a pt textbook from Norwegian into English. There are a few
technical terms that I don’t know in English. I hope someone will be able to
help me.

The first term is the down-bearing pressure that the strings exert on the
bridge. Is there a common name for it in English?

The second term is only applicable in uprights. When the hammer touches the
strings, there’s a small difference between the distance from the strings to
the shank, just beneath the hammerhead, and the distance from the strings to
the shank down at the butt. Directly translated from Norwegian to English it
would be called Hammer Fall Angle. Ironically, although it’s called an angle
it’s expressed in mm instead of degrees since it’s the difference between
two distances. What is the English name?

The third term is the name of the surfaces, areas, fields or sections on the
pinblock where there are tuning pins. All the tuning pins will typically be
grouped into 4, 5 or 6 fields. What is the name for this?

Any help will be deeply appreciated! Many thanks in advance, Andreas Risberg