Scruffing...was Over Strike vs Under Strike

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 28 16:43:31 MST 2006

> Perhaps simply giving more attention to grain orientation of the shank
> could produce better results, regard shank breakage, flex issues, and
> resulting tonal characteristics.
>
> Frank Emerson

Why would that be? If there is information to the effect that
wood is different in stiffness depending on grain orientation,
I'd sure like to see it. I assume you're talking about annular
rings. Nothing I've found in print from a credible source, nor
any deflection testing I've done indicates that there is a
lick of difference in beam stiffness between quarter sawn and
flat sawn lumber, provided the grain is oriented along the
beam's length. If you're talking long grain orientation, then
I agree.
Ron N