electronic over/under pulling

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:55:45 MST 2006

There have been some good answers already, but I'd like to add a bit....

Gregor asked
"But how do you raise pitch with vt? Or
better asked: why do you do it with vt?"

Why?  My goal is to get as close to possible to a fine tuning after a single
pass.  As has been indicated, the machines are able to calculate an overpull
based in part on where the note starts.  The process is not quite that
simple, since we are trying to correct for a shifting structure, not just
single notes.  The Reyburn program is the best (it remains that way due to
copywrite limitations) because it incorporates an averaging function as well
as the "lookup table" - a user adjustable database that alters the overpull
percentage note by note.  Those that take the time to customize the program
based on their tuning technique and piano model can get amazingly close
after one pass!

Now, on to "how".... using the Verituner.  I work in a climate where pitch
adjustments are the norm.  Most of my work is repeat business, so I already
have the piano measured and saved.  If there is a drawback to the Verituner,
it is that it will continue refining the tuning as new information is
measured - which is a good thing for a really fine tuning!  But during a
first pass, the tuning is changing enough to make getting close to a fine
tuning difficult.  I have chosen to do a five minute or so pre-measuring
step to get enough inharmonicity data into the machine before tuning a new
piano.

In "coarse mode", select the preferences to display the needle.  Display all
three over pull targets.  Once a note is played, the line marks the
beginning pitch and the three triangles display the three overpull targets -
think of the first one as the wound strings, the second one as the middle of
the piano and the third as the top section.  The spinner will be tied to the
first target, so only watch the needle.  You can change the percentages to
match your style.  As you progress, pay attention to the overpull cents - if
there is a wildly out of tune string, or the machine mis-measures, just
overpull about as much as you've been doing for the previous few strings.
If you tap the screen on a pocket pc, the pitch will be remeasured for
overpull.

Use the zoom function to balance between resolution and being able to
measure far from proper pitch pianos.  If the piano is way off, turn off the
auto note and use the little middle button to advance to the next note.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland