Softening hard 1980 Sohmer hammer advice requested.

Alan McCoy ahm at webband.com
Sun Nov 26 23:32:09 MST 2006

Hi Thump,

Maybe a moot issue now. But I have a S&S M action in the shop now with
over-lacquered hammers. I tried washing out the lacquer with acetone. I
soaked the hammers with a generous helping of acetone. Four applications of
acetone over 2 weeks. Vigorous needling, squeezing the hammers to try to
breathe life into these lacquer brickettes. I made almost no progress.
Called the piano owner and explained that the hammers were beyond repair.
Now I'm replacing these with S&S hammers and Abel shanks (it is from the
teflon era). It'll be interesting to see how these newer S&S hammers sound.
Hammer #1 weighs 10.1g and #88 weighs 5.2g - unbored untapered.

You might have better success than I did, but these hammers were the worst
I've ever seen.

Alan

--Alan McCoy, RPT
Inland Northwest Chapter