measuring ratios, (was popsicle)

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 14:58:38 MST 2006

Hi Ric
  Hey good food for thought but if 1 mm of key movement  raises the hammer
6mm , to me  that is  a 6 to 1 ratio.  When I use the spurlock tool all I'm
doing is using it as a  quick trouble shooting indicator as to how much  trouble
the action is going to be. Ie will longer knuckle to center be required  or
capstan move..  As you stated this morning.
  Ed ...I like your thoughts too. The use of smaller  than a 6 mm block takes
us in the direction of action  acceleration.
  Dale Erwin

Hi  All

As long as we all remember that the <<ratio>> defined  this way (ala
Spurlock)  is not the same ratio relationship as  Stanwoods Strike Weight
ratio we are ok here. Stanwoods ratio is about how  much weight at the
key front is needed to balance whatever radius weight  the hammer has out
there on the end of that shank.  More specifically  we are talking about
how much weight would be needed to bring the action  into the half blow
condition in a frictionless world.  That is not at  all the same thing as
how much distance the hammer moves for any given  amount of key travel.
In fact, if you were picky enough about your  measurements you would find
that if you measured for a 8 mm key travel  compared to 4 mm key travel
you'd end up with two different figures there  too.

There is an approximate translation that generally works fair  enough...
and in any case if you are shooting for some BW in an action  re-do  you
nearly always end up within a couple grams (nearly always  heavier) if
you've calculated with the distance ratio as your figure for  R.  Its a
good thing to gain a basic idea of your general leverage  zone by doing
the Spurlock thing.  But if you plug that value into  Stanwoods formula
to arrive at a FW figure for some targeted BW, you are  going to have to
the error created is consistent... so you can either  live with it and
still have an even result... or try and compensate a bit  by
approximating a translation from one R to the  other.

Cheers
RicB