popsicle stick engineering

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 09:57:07 MST 2006

RIc
  Thanks , you said it better than I do.  I concur  with your reg parameters
as well.  Not much wiggle room.
   One of the first things we do is regulate & an  existing note in pre tear
down.  Huge clues  about action ratio &  parts/capstan use are gained in 5
minutes.  I also use spurlocks simple but  elegant action ration finder as listed
in his web site.  Every tech should  have one.  2 minutes & you know your
action ratio quite  closely.
  Cheers
  Dale

Whenever  you find short dip & long blow the action  ratio is high"

If  you stop and think about this for a second its perhaps not so trivial
as  it at first may seem.  Dip and blow, along with letoff  and
aftertouch are critical determinants in getting an action to feel and
respond acceptable.  And there is not one heck of a lot of manuvering
room really before things get weirded out.  Personally, I opt for
keeping dip between 9.8 and 10.2, blow at 46-47 and letoff between
1.5-2.5 mm graduated from the bass and aftertouch on the light  side..
With these in mind it doesnt take much thought to realize  that in order
to keep these in line you dont have all that much manuvering  room.
Assuming we take balance rail pin positions as given... you have
basically knuckle size and placement and capstan position to effect
changes with.