Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sat Nov 25 13:08:55 MST 2006

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Calin Tantareanu
Sent: November 23, 2006 11:54 AM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

I wonder why Sohmer used normals pins in the treble and bridge agraffes further
down the scale. Kind of defeats the purpose, in my view...
Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro <http://calin.haos.ro/>
--------------------

They didn't in all cases. I've done two large Sohmers that had the type of
bridge agraffe shown in the recent picture all the way to the top. They worked
extremely well and the bridges showed no signs of splitting.

Once I got some tension off the scale (the original scaling on these pianos was
the highest I've ever measured) and new boards in them, the sound of the pianos
was great. We kept the original bridges (at the owner's request), cut them apart
at the plate strut gaps, and repositioned them to bring the tension down.

There was no sign of splitting anywhere (even with the obscene tensions of the
original scale). Nor was there any adverse tone quality (again, once the
tensions were lowered). As well, the piano was remarkably free of false beats
and wild strings.

Overall, I liked the system.

Del