Scruffing -was - Over-Strike vs Under-Strike

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 19:13:22 MST 2006

How can scruffing occur unless the hammer shank flexes?  It does flex, and it does scruff, but always upward.  As the flagpoling of the shank reverses, the hammer begins to scruff downward just as it is rebounding from the string.  The proximity of the axis of rotation to the string is less significant than the length of the hammer bore from the strike point.    This can be seen in slow-motion photograph of action movement.  It is amazing how much an upright shank flexes.  You would think it would break before flexing as much as it actually does.  A grand shank flexes also, but not nearly so much.  The drawing below is simplistic and exaggerated, but illustrates the point.
Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net