Upright hammer bore

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 09:18:16 MST 2006

Jon
  Could it be they wanted the mass of the hammer at that  distance from the
center pin to effect geometry or weight considerations.   Dunno
  Dale

Another  boring thread...

I know this has been discussed but I don't recall ever  reading that
upright hammers should over-strike the strings.

I'm  ready to bore a set for a M&H. The present hammers are  severely
over-striking... to what advantage?

Why, in theory, would  hammer hanging differ between grands and verticals??

I have installed  vertical hammers with reduced the strike angle
(reducing shank  height)
with favorable results but thought I'd run it by here before I  proceed.

I have Spurlock's hanging jig and will cut the shanks to  length
en-mass with a band saw.
--

Regards,

Jon  Page