Over-Strike vs Under-Strike

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 08:41:07 MST 2006

Upon reading the follow-ups of Jons query, I'd like to wonder which is
which. I've always considered "Over-Strike" as the Downward angle of the
hammer, which would put the hammer Beyond Perpendicular. ??? Am I correct
on that? If so, then, "Under-Strike" would be, where the hammer does not
achieve Perpendicular, on contact?? The "Over-Strike" hammer, (on an
Upright), would "scruff", (for lack of a better word), downward, at impact.
The "Under-Stike" hammer would therefore "scruff" upwards.
Do I have all of this backwards? Confused minds need to know what the
consensus is.<G>

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I