Upright hammer bore

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Thu Nov 23 16:43:30 MST 2006

Jon,
when you say overstriking, do you mean the hammershank has passed
through the vertical and the top of the shank is closer to the string
than the bottom is?  That is what I would call overstriking.  I have
never seen that on a properly functioning upright.
The reason I have been given for the required UNDERstriking in
verticals is to enhance the hammer re-bound time and to reduce the
tendency for the hammer to fall towards the strings

Hammer hanging on verticals is different than grands because [in theory
  :^)] gravity helps pull the grand hammer away from the the string.
As I understand it.
Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440