Boring Upright Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 23 12:29:20 MST 2006

Jon asked: "Another boring thread...

I know this has been discussed but I don't recall ever reading that
upright hammers should over-strike the strings.

I'm ready to bore a set for a M&H. The present hammers are severely
over-striking... to what advantage?

Why, in theory, would hammer hanging differ between grands and verticals??

I have installed vertical hammers with reduced the strike angle
(reducing shank height)
with favorable results but thought I'd run it by here before I proceed.

I have Spurlock's hanging jig and will cut the shanks to length
en-mass with a band saw.
--

Regards,

Jon Page

Jon,
I have always changed the Vertical Pitch on those pianos, (Steinway k-52's
comes to mind, mostly). I've never seen a good reason for this extreme
hammer boring. There may be some documentation, or such, but I've not seen
it. I usually ascertain what will give the hammer a 1 degree overstrike and
go with that. There are those pianos that have an extreme string angle, but
it goes down and away from the action, so drilling for over-strike would be
counter-productive. It all falls in the "go figger" class with me. Of
course, when you change the extreme Over-Strike hammers, you MUST install
new shanks, as the olde ones will be too short to get the strike point
correct. IMO, one should ALWAYS replace hammer shanks...No exceptions in my
shop! Hanging new hammers on olde shanks is like putting lipstick on a
pig.....It doesn't help the looks of the pig and it just ticks off the
pig!<G>
Have a Good Thanksgiving ALL

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police