The Narcotic effect of old varnish?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Nov 23 06:44:30 MST 2006

  Subject: The Narcotic effect of old varnish?

  Hello all,

  A most interesting experience.  I am repairing and refinishing an old damaged sound board.  While scraping off the 90+/- year old varnish it puffed itself into the air in a fine powder.  With age there was absolutely no effort in scraping it off.  Normally I would wear a respirator in such situations but this time I didn't.  After about 20 minutes of scraping and sanding I began to experience what could only be described as a narcotic effect from the stuff.  I have never noticed this before.  Not quite as enjoyable as being drunk but interesting to say the least.  Very light headed and floaty-like with a hint of giddiness involved.  When I became self aware of the situation I cleared away but the effect lasted for a while.

  I was wondering if anyone else had this experience?  I had never heard of a narcotic effect from the removal of old finishes but this was pretty powerful stuff.  Don't tell the government or they will try to make old pianos a controlled substance!  I can see it now, old uprights that dealers have been dumping for years are suddenly worth thousands on the streets.

  Rob Goodale, RPT

  Las Vegas NV

  Rob,

      I've never heard of this effect but Bondi and I will be right over to investigate.

      Tom Driscoll