The Narcotic effect of old varnish?

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Wed Nov 22 20:46:03 MST 2006

Hello all,

A most interesting experience.  I am repairing and refinishing an old damaged sound board.  While scraping off the 90+/- year old varnish it puffed itself into the air in a fine powder.  With age there was absolutely no effort in scraping it off.  Normally I would wear a respirator in such situations but this time I didn't.  After about 20 minutes of scraping and sanding I began to experience what could only be described as a narcotic effect from the stuff.  I have never noticed this before.  Not quite as enjoyable as being drunk but interesting to say the least.  Very light headed and floaty-like with a hint of giddiness involved.  When I became self aware of the situation I cleared away but the effect lasted for a while.

I was wondering if anyone else had this experience?  I had never heard of a narcotic effect from the removal of old finishes but this was pretty powerful stuff.  Don't tell the government or they will try to make old pianos a controlled substance!  I can see it now, old uprights that dealers have been dumping for years are suddenly worth thousands on the streets.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas NV