Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 21 16:31:22 MST 2006

Hi Calin

Actually, there are bits from both these <<explanations>> that seem
agreeable.

First off,  the elimination of "certain partials" and the concept of
"bleed-through or noise" are not necessarily different things.  One
could easily use both descriptions to talk about the same thing.
Secondly, damping these sections does indeed influence the partials of
the speaking length.  One only need take a short front length from an
agraffed string and mute it with ones finger to notice a significant
change in the character of the speaking length.  Just like we do in
longer front duplex lengths.

I ran into a very interesting tidbit the other day dinking around....
you know those little pointers you get with palm PC's.  Made in some
kind of aluminum or some such thing.  Stick one of those inbetween front
duplex unisons up in the upper sections... and play the note loudly.
Try a few different unisons.  You will find you can get the pointer to
come into a very loud resonance... one that is actually tunable by way
of how far down you push the pointer ie...how short/long you let its
length be.  Its really quite loud.  Makes you wonder about all this
energy in the front lengths... and what could be done with it.  And...
the same thing happens for much shorter front lengths as well.  Just
food for thought.

Cheers
RicB

     > The makers of the agraffes told me that the damping is meant to
    eliminate
     > certain partials that are not wanted. This is not exactly the same as
     > bleed-through or noise.
     >
     > Calin Tantareanu

    Yes, I understand that's the makers' explanation. I just don't
    think the explanation makes a lick of sense. How does a piece
    of rubber or felt only damp "certain" partials in a string
    segment less than 10mm long? The bleed through observation was
    my explanation of what I think is actually happening, and did
    make sense, at least to me.
    Ron N