Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 20 16:29:28 MST 2006

Hi Calin.

The point is not to just go with what our impressions are and proceed to
assume we have established some fact(s).  We should want to make sure of
our facts yes ?  I know guys who swear they've improved the sound of a
brand new piano after mashing the strings into the bridge surface in
some grossly exagerated string seating proceedure.  They might say the
same thing as you say below... "why do this if not to improve the sound
?"  .... yes ?

Cheers
RicB

    I have seen this sometimes done by harpsichord makers who put a
    thicker wire
    next to the bridge pins and let the strings bear on it, not directly
    on the
    wood.
    The effect is that the footprint of a string is increased, the
    termination
    stiffness somewhat too, although not as much as with a proper agraffe.

    Why would they do this if not to improve the sound? In the ones I've
    seen I
    had the impression that it contributed to a better sustain and livelier
    sound.

    Calin Tantareanu
    http://calin.haos.ro