Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:23:21 MST 2006

Interesting point.

> The short segments within a bridge agraffe are too short to
> sound audibly. They are, however, long enough to transmit
> string motion, via rocking on the bearing points, through to
> the back scale.

Quite possible.

> This doesn't happen in a conventionally pinned

It doesn't, but this doesn't mean that the energy that would bleed through
the agraffe to the backscale is conserved in a traditional pin/cap device.
It is just lost there because the string segment between two bridge pins is,
in effect, a damped string segment.
So the bridge agraffe appears, again, as a device that can put some of the
energy lost with a traditional termination to an audible use. If the result
is pleasant or not, worthwile etc, remains to be seen.
But the Steingraeber piano was wonderful, so agraffes seem to have a lot of
potential in the hands of the informed piano designer.

> bridge, so with bridge agraffes, you get a direct relationship
> between the string played, and the back scale of that note.
> This is the way front duplexes work, only it's on a moving
> bridge in this case instead of a more solid plate, and the
> deflection angles are typically shallower in the bridge
> agraffe, increasing the effect. It isn't a problem in the
> lower portions of the scale because the back scale is
> typically braided off down there already to prevent noise
> being generated by the long back scales. I would bet that
> braiding off the back scale would immediately kill that
> objectionable "agraffe" noise. But then you wouldn't get the
> sound from the open back scale of a conventionally pinned
> bridge, hence the rubber or felt dampers in the agraffes. They
> kill the bleed through noises without killing the typical and
> "normal" open back scale noise.

I'm not sure what you mean by "agraffe noise". Is it unwanted partials or
something else?

Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro