End-Butt Joint Via Epoxy

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 15:16:08 MST 2006

I think it is well accepted that a grain-end butt joint is likely the weakest way to join two pieces of wood. I have a project in my shop that required 8-foot long boards of an exotic wood. The longest I could find anywhere were 4 feet long. So I bought two 4-foot-long boards. Epoxy man used epoxy magic to make the two 4-footers into an 8-foot long board. I simply end-butt jointed two boards together to make the longer board via the two-step West System bonding method. Picture of the end-butt joints below:

Now I haven't tried to use it as a base-ball bat or jump on it, but the joint seems to easily support the weight of the entire 8-foot length of the board (in the photo below the board on left is clamped way down at the far end only).

This wood is very dense, and I can pick it up at one end and wiggle it around pretty good without joint failure. In this particular case, the joint is more for simply alignment purposes than anything else, so I don't require a high-strength joint. But this seems to be quite strong.

Epoxy is amazing stuff!

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com