Sudden damper buzz syndrome

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 19 12:51:26 MST 2006

Geoff-

I recently had excellent results de-sizzling upright dampers using a buzzing electric tooth brush - not the oscillating or rotating type, but the kind that buzzes at middle C.  It did a thorough job of opening up the felt without tearing or lifting.

If you raise the damper stop rail on a grand, you can probably lift the dampers enough to get the toothbrush under and buzz them to de-sizzle without removing them.  Maybe even an ordinary manual toothbrush could work this way....

Ed Sutton....tool fool of pianotech