Check out Bandsaw Specifications

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 05:20:35 MST 2006

Dale,

Believe me, I don't think the Laguna is the only saw on the market - sooooo many to choose from - and many high quality ones, no doubt. However, just comparing the Laguna LT16HD that Greg Newell and I have to the Jet 18" that you linked to:

Resaw Capacity: Jet - 12-1/4", Laguna - 16"
Guide System: Jet - ball bearing rollers, Laguna - ceramic multi (5) point support on both lower and upper guides (no tendency to bend blade)
Motor: Jet - 1-3/4 hp or 3 hp, Laguna - 4.5 hp Baldor
Blade Length: Jet - 137", Laguna - 150"
Weight: Jet - 410 or 420, Laguna - 465

All the other items I see listed either don't matter, or the Laguna is comparable. The only thing I see that the Jet exceeds the Laguna is the Jet's 18" throat - the Laguna is 15-1/2".

Look at the blade length of the two machines and the weight. IMHO, the Laguna 16" is a bigger machine than the Jet.

So, for what it's worth, I don't see any meaningful features on the Jet that the Laguna doesn't have and I don't think the Jet is any bigger overall.

Again though, I don't know exactly how the benefit/cost of the higher-priced Laguna will shake out in the long run. No doubt many very good woodworkers could buy a Jet or many other brands and get very good service out of them. All I can say is that I am extremely happy with my Laguna. Like Greg stated - likely to be the last saw I will ever buy - someone can resaw some maple and spruce for my casket with it.

Terry Farrell