Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 04:22:29 MST 2006

Thanks. I would never compare violins with pianos, becaause there is a
fundamental difference. While a violin receives a continuous input of energy
through the bow, which lasts as long as the note sustains, the piano
receives energy only onces, through the hammer stroke, and is supposed to
sustain as long as possible after wards.
Pluck a violin string or strike it with a small hammer (in the manner of a
piano), and listen then for sustain. There will be almost none.
So much for comparing violins and pianos.

If one wants to build a piano like a violin, you have to give up hammers and
start using bows. This has been made in the distant past, with rotating
wheels under the strings. Seen one in a museum, but it's not a piano...

Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro