< 90 degrees at impact

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Sat Nov 18 16:53:40 MST 2006

Ed:
It is my understanding that on uprights, the hammers should
under-center.  I was taught that the amount should about 5 mm (= .200",
just less than one hammer shank thickness).  This helps the hammer
rebound off the string better. The piano will not play properly if the
distance: string to center pin is the same as the hammer bore.

I know this is how  European upright actions (Renner, Langer, etc.) are
designed.

I seriously doubt that the 1/16" more under-centering will be a
problem, neither at the hammer rest rail nor at the strike line.  If
you feel compelled to compensate, you could do that by adjusting the
action bolts.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Nov 18, 2006, at 11:00, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:

> I am installing new butts, shanks, and hammers into an old Knabe
> upright. The replacement butts I bought are Tokiwa. I didn't think
> much about the fact that these butts are made in Japan, and Knabe is
> an American upright.
...snip