Milestone

Clark Panaccione threesixesinarow at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 07:04:25 MST 2006

>> Harding shows a section from an 1839 patent page
244
>> where the resisting bars go through the bridge, you
>> can see the recesses in the detail photo.

> Harding? Got the patent number? I can't tell much of
> what I'm looking at in the detail photo.

Eng 8137, I think - Henry Pape, of Little
Newport-street, Leicester-square, musical instrument
maker, for "certain improvements on stringed musical
instruments." July 2, 1839.

"A, a key; B, the lever which receives the hopper
(escapement) C and has as its centre D in the same
lever, The check E is planted, which retains the
hammer by the butt F, having its centre in...the
hammer rail H, to which is fixed the hammer lever I
having at its extremity the double damper J, and at
the other end the
winding spring K, which serves both to damp and to
raise the hammer. L, strings; M, block; N, braces ["of
wood, metal, or sheet iron"]; O, bridge; Q, small
wooden or metal pegs; P, sounding board forming the
back of the instrument" (Harding, R. The Piano-Forte.
Gresham Books. Old Woking, Surrey. 1978.)

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes.
Www2.nextag.com