Chickering cocked hat advice

Larry J Hofer lsclhofer at juno.com
Thu Nov 16 19:03:15 MST 2006

Dave,
        I rebuilt a  1860's Chickering 8' grand that had the inner rim
over the edge of the plate like your piano. Here is how I removed the
plate.
First steam off the veneer off the top of the rim. Then you will be able
to see the glue joint. Drill 1/2 inch holes about 2 inches apart all the
way around the top of the rim right in the glue joint down to the plate.
Drill as straight as possible to stay in the glue joint and not wander
off the joint.
With a sharp strong scraper split the inner and outer rim at the glue
joint now weakened by the 1/2 inch holes. Go slow and try to do as little
damage as possible. The cleaner the inner rim comes apart the easier it
will be to glue it back together.
        The plate can now be removed and the rebuilding can proceed. The
inner rim on the Chickering I rebuilt was made of  two different types of
wood, mahogany and oak. The bent part of the rim in the back of the case
was oak and was much harder to split with out damage. Once the plate is
back in the piano you can glue the inner rim back in and then dowel the
drilled holes and then re glue the veneer that was steamed off.
        If I had to do this again I think I would glue a 1/8 to 1/4 inch
piece of  rosewood over the top of the rim instead of the rosewood
veneer.  The reason for this is that even though I sanded the top of the
rim so that the dowels were very flat to the top of the rim, after the
new veneer was glued on and the piano was refinished, you could see a
shadow of the  1/2 inch dowels through the veneer and the new high gloss
finish. This is a lot of work and maybe someone knows of a better way.
Nice piano when done.

Larry Hofer
Corona CA