Two Remedies to correct a light action

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Nov 16 15:30:18 MST 2006

Oh My,

Where to begin?  As this is a list for technicians exchanging ideas and
information regarding piano technology, I would suggest that these ideas may
be a bit out of place.

The nail idea, valid in a way, would be (perhaps) more appropriate if there
were a decent way to attach the nails.  Masking tape, holding nails on in
the action is a disaster waiting.  Instead, why not use the clips, as
suggested before, or, better yet, get some lead and add it to the hammer
molding.

Adding felt to achieve premature engagement of the damper underlevers,
again, valid in a way, is not really addressing the problem properly.  Now
you have to raise the upstop rail to compensate for the added lift by the
key.  Just gets worse.......

As far as the nail polish containers go, must I?  Please just buy a decent
set of gram weights so you don't have to recalibrate every time you use
them.

If you are getting paid to work on pianos, you should reasonably be expected
to have appropriate tools and information.  If you're fiddling with your own
piano, do whatever you want, but don't complain when you hire a technician,
and they charge you to undo your work and then do proper work.

AND, none of these may be the proper fix for Brett's situation.  He really
needs to do some basic diagnostics first (UW, DW, BW at least).

Best,
William R. Monroe