Rebuilt Action Touch is too light

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 15 00:36:48 MST 2006

Hi Brett

You are kind of looking for a magic bullet here and actually in this
case there really is something that rather resembles that.  Read up on
Stannwood.  In the end its not more complicated then simple lever
physics... at least not for basic weighoff concerns.  In your example
you mention the new hammers <<feel>> lighter then the old.  Take the
guess work out of the picture and weigh the things along with the other
parameters you need to know and you can achieve exactly the touchweight
you wish... and be very conscious about how to easily alter it at need.

As far as using voicing to deal with this.  While I am the first to
admit the overall connection between voicing and touch, I do not
recommend using voicing as a first tool.  Voicing and touchweight, tho
interrelated, are also quite independent.  While you can no doubt
achieve <<similiar>> overall response with different combinations of
touchweight and degree of voicing,  one is IMHO best served by
identifying what combination of hammer mass and touchweight a situation
demands first.  Voicing leans more towards being a "given" in this
scenario.  Any fudging with overall response with voicing is then far
more predictable and quite a bit more easy to achieve.  In addition...
the confidence one has when one is aware of exactly what one is doing at
every step of the way is of great benefit to the whole process.

I would suspect from what you have said so far, that you have indeed
have managed to install a lighter touchweight then the original, and
that happily for you the owner in this case likes the initial sensation
this yields.  You may never manage to get all the different pianists who
use the instrument happy. Doubtful actually. But perhaps you can move in
that direction.

Why don't you start by taking a few sample balance weight measurements
for us.  Say 10 keys spread across the keyboard. We can start from there.

Cheers
RicB

    Thanks Ed for your Questions,

    One the Owner/Teacher loves the fast & light action . When I first
    assembled it and set it up I felt that it might be to light  as far
    as touch .  The other teacher says it's to light . She and some of her
    students have trouble with control of sound .

    When I first looked at the Hammers from Renner to me they looked smaller
    & felt lighter than the originals . The whippens came from Yamaha . So
    the only parts that might have made this action lighter would have been
    the hammers shanks & knuckles. I used the specs from my action hand book
    for regulation . I guess I need to read up on the key weighting and
    learn
    how to finish the job right . I just thought that maybe there was one of
    those rules that might apply to this like if light do this and if heavy
    do something else as far as regulation . But if it's the lighter hammer
    assembles than I guess the right way to correct it is by adding the
    weight back . No short cuts .?

    Thanks for any ideas , Brett