Drilling into Polyester

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Nov 14 05:16:24 MST 2006

At 06:06 PM 11/13/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Terry,
>Thank you for the advice.
>The piano is a 1913 SS-M that was rebuilt in Poland.
>The poly finish happened there.
>It is a very new finish and looks ok but not the best - no signs of
>separation that I can see.
>The music desk is of the SS type that never had a hinge I believe (not
>certain) just the bumpers. It is possible that the rebuilders did not
>reinstall an existing hinge and covered up the holes - I have no way of
>knowing.
>As the owner is a teacher she loads the desk up fairly heavy with music
>books etc. She not only wants one hinge - she wants two. I cannot talk her
>out of it.
>Gene

Gene,

I'm not sure I know what you mean about never having had a hinge, do you
mean a rear support bracket? This 1930s M never had them either.

Here's what I did to a practice room S&S piano which is frequently ridden
hard and put away wet. The little original hinges and their screws pulled
out quite well, so I used a couple of sections of recycled lid hinge.
(about 12" each) I had to chisel out a relief for them and I used old,
longer screws, so it ain't the prettiest, but it _is_ holding up to the abuse.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the ugly underside (you can see where
one of the original small hinges had been) and the top view where the
repair is fairly unobtrusive.