Knabe(Samick)/Renner & the 114 mm action spread

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Nov 14 01:09:23 MST 2006

>Wow!  Doesn't that mean practically no aftertouch?
>
>I try to set the jack so at full dip it's in the middle of the rep window.

Hello Cy,

Not really. There is quite some variation between the amount of after
touch which technicians shoot for. In general, I don't like to see
too much clearance between the jack and the knuckle when the hammer
is in check. But it is important that there is some clearance. For
domestic pianos which don't see a technician too often it is better
to allow for a little more clearance than for a concert or
performance instrument which might have the reg touched up every
couple of months or so.

For faster repetition, less clearance is required between the jack
and the knuckle at the check position. Clearly, if a domestic
instrument is set too fine, there is a risk that the blow distance
will widen between service intervals such that the knuckle clearance
might reduce to zero, which might cause blubbering at let-off during
soft playing.

I would also say that if the cushion touches the jack before it
clears the knuckle then the felt needs to be trimmed to reduce its
thickness or replaced. With our own grand piano action, we've found
that the small variability which occurs between production batches
can result in the jack stop felt being too thick or too thin,
depending on the setup of the machines during manufacture. There
shouldn't be any difference from batch to batch, but in practice its
hard to control. Very often we will change the jack stop felt to
achieve the clearance we're looking for.

Its an interesting area of piano work, this setting up of actions.
There's always something more that we learn as we live for longer.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers