Knabe(Samick)/Renner & the 114 mm action spread

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Nov 13 16:49:24 MST 2006

Hello John,

The 114 you have measured is exactly on spec for the Knabe and NSG
Samick grands (the Renner action is typically set at 112 mm as you
mentioned). I have the CAD drawings of these Samick models at my
office.

The blow distance should be checked first since, on a new instrument,
it is one of the first action parameters to go out of spec. The
standard blow distance is 47 mm, but on a new piano I would adjust it
to 45 provided that it doesn't make the after touch totally
excessive. There will be quite a bit of settling of the knuckles when
the action is new, so it won't take any time at all for a 45 mm blow
setting to become 47. I don't know what the hammer/key ratio is in
the later Samicks. The earlier pianos of a few years ago were running
very low ratios. They often needed well in excess of 10.5 mm to
achieve a respectable after touch.

Do some experimental regulation on C40 (middle C) to see what works.
I'd recommend setting it with a 45 mm blow distance and adjusting the
dip until you achieve the jack just clearing the knuckle leather in
check. Don't forget to check that the let off is around 1 mm and the
drop between 2 to 3 before checking the after touch (the let-off in
particular will change the after touch). I like to set the check at
around 12 mm if possible for faster repetition, but the current
Samick tail lengths are a bit short for that, so 14 or 15 might work
better.

The jack cushions might be too thick as well. Ideally, the jack
should come into contact with the jack cushion just after it loses
contact with the knuckle.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY