Drilling into Polyester

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 13 14:47:38 MST 2006

I've not drilled into a polyester-finished piano, however, I do have a fair bit of experience with polyester in general. IF the ploy is well adhered to the wood substrate, you should have no problems at all - you should be able to drill, mark with a punch, etc.

HOWEVER, if the ploy finish was not properly applied and/or is not adhering real well to the wood, yeah, you could have all sorts of troubles arise.

Of course, unless you see hunks of finish falling off the piano elsewhere, it is difficult to tell whether the ploy/wood bond is good.

IMHO, you might want to consider having the piano owner sign a disclaimer form that releases you of all liability related to the ploy finish. I'm sure an appropriate lawyer could spit something simple out in just a few minutes.

Gotta ask..... why does the owner want a mea-hinge on a pretty piano (except, of course, for the high gloss polyester finish!)? Is the old one broke? Music shelf damaged already?