Drilling into Polyester

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Nov 13 14:43:04 MST 2006

Gene,

Drilling into polyester is quite straightforward using twist drills.
The trick is to have the drill bit very sharp with a lower clearance
angle than normal, so that it won't bite into the material too
quickly. I generally sharpen all my twist drills with a lower
clearance angle than standard. This helps to prevent the drill from
pulling itself into the work too quickly, with often disastrous
results. As far as speed and feed rate is concerned, I like to have
the drill going fairly quickly with a light application pressure. If
the drill is razer sharp it will fall through the poly like its
cutting butter. I usually cover the area over the hole to be drilled
with masking tape before drilling. This helps to prevent any risk of
perimeter chip-out. When I'm drilling lids for fitting rubber
buffers, I run a couple of strips of wide masking tape on the panel
adjacent to where I'm planning to drill, to prevent scratching and
scuffing of the surface with the Portaline, which is the drilling
attachment I use for holding the drill square to the panel.

While its easy to drill into polyester with low clearance angle
drills, I recommend that you drill or grind away a clearance-diameter
of polyester, down to the substrate, so that the mounting screws
can't come into contact with the polyester. Preventing the risk of a
crack developing. Once you've drilled your minor diameter hole for
the mounting screws, you can cut away the polyester to the substrate
with a larger drill to ensure that there is good polyester clearance
from the outside diameter of the screw. This will prevent any risk of
a nasty stress crack running out from the screw hole at some future
time. Some caution is required when drilling away the poly to provide
clearance, since the larger drill, with no material at the drill
centre for control, can allow the drill to tear into the panel unless
the feed pressure applied is very light. Another approach might be to
drill your hole clearance first, being careful not to drill it too
deep, then following it with the minor diameter drill. I generally
don't drill the clearance away first, because it increases the risk
of drilling the minor diameter hole off line. If you've got some
tungsten carbide grinding balls and a die grinder handy, using these
can be lot safer way of providing clearance for the screw after
drilling the minor diameter hole, without risk of tearing up a piece
of polyester.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY