use or abuse of forum

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 12 11:51:17 MST 2006

> I've been participating in this forum for about 6 months on and off. The
> only way I've ever contributed to it is with the questions I've asked.
> The questions are usually technical in nature about how to do something.
>
> I often feel hesitant to ask a question, though, because I'm not sure
> how all you veterans feel about students/novices such as me using the
> forum as a resource only to take from.
>
> Is it use or abuse?
>
> Every question I've ever asked has been responded to by multiple people,
> so I pressume that my participatiion thus far has been acceptable. But
> I'm curious to hear your thoughts.....
>
> Ed

Ed,
Use the list as an educational resource, rather a crisis hot
line, and it will serve you well. Read everything, and
integrate it into what you know (pending later verification if
it's new material). The long term list readers that skip over
what isn't of immediate interest to them, then post to the
list in panic when the phone rings with a job that was
discussed extensively just a couple of weeks ago, waste
everyone's time. Work for it, work at it, and earn what you
learn here by passing on your own observations and (current)
conclusions for the education of the rest of us. Quid pro quo.
Ask questions, by all means. You're doing fine.

Some assembly required.
Ron N