Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Sat Nov 11 07:19:14 MST 2006

> Joe said:
> Arlin,
> If all you are doing is replacing the Hammer Butt springs, I'd suggest
> taking the spring rail out with the action still installed in the piano.
> You should be able to get at the screws that hold in the rail, either with
> a long screw driver, (thin blade with a round tip), or with a ratchet
> off-set screwdriver. Or, possibly both will be needed.<G>
> Regards,
> Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

Aww, give him a learning experience!  None of us relish the thought of
removing/reinstalling spinet actions, but sooner or later you just have to
know how to do it.

Just my preference but I'd rather just "get to it", haul the action to the
shop, do what is needed and....back in.  Charge accordingly.  Of course I
*do* hate trying to fiddle with screwdrivers around action brackets,
keysticks, etc.  And, with my luck the spring rail screws would fall to
places that never see daylight, not to mention any card spacing punchings
:-)

JMO,
Debbie