Removing Sticking Damper Underlevers on Asian Grands

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 08:40:06 MST 2006

I had a customer the other day who had duct taped a nut onto one of his tenor dampers.   It was working but I convinced him to let me try to see what was going on...this was a Yamaha C3.  The top flange of the underlever was extremely tight.   I had the customer feel the friction.   I tried a little Protek/Goose Juice and worked the flange but didn't get any substantial relief. (I had just before juiced some hammer flanges with good results and the underlever flange also responded to Protek but not the top flange????   What's with that?)   To get the underlever out you need to raise the upstop rail (good idea to mark where it is with a pencil), remove the sostenudo blade and of course the damper/damper wire. A screwdriver removed the screw and out came the underlever.   I repinned it, reversed procedures and the damper was working well without the nut/duct tape.   I lifted several other underlevers and told the customer they have the same problem but they were dampening so we will fix another day...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044