Recording

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 14:35:22 MST 2006

My church is installing a new sound system, and we will be miking the Steinway M (not a particularly stellar representative, but serviceable.  I have two questions:

1.  What is the best way to mike a grand?

2.  Originally (until we decided the sound was best with the mike [Shure Beta 91, cardioid mike] placed on the soundboard to the left of the bass strings, near the top of the bass bridge and resting on foam to isolate)  They suggested it was common to tape it or screw it to the underside of the lid.  Is this underside-of-lid placement (and attaching with screws!) common?

Thanks for your input.

Richard Morgan