key weight

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Nov 7 19:12:18 MST 2006

Hi William
 Are you lifting the damper levers out of that equation  before using your
touch weight set.  If not you are getting false  information because the damper
lever resistance is being factored in  accidentally.
  Does that help

Now  can anyone give me a strait forward answer?  What is the touch weight
that I should be looking for in medium to high quality grand pianos  today.  I
have heard people brag about 52 grams and such, but I just  don't see it.  I
have run a gram weight scale on every key from 1 to 88  on a lot of pianos and
on my new pianos I have brought the weight from 68 to  70 down to 62 and 60 on
a lot of keys.  After that I have lubed, repinned  and removed mass from the
hammer heals, but, you guessed it, it never gets  much below 60.
Any  one want to give me some guidance?
William