Warranty Work Question

mps at usol.com mps at usol.com
Mon Nov 6 08:09:43 MST 2006

Thank you David!
I made the repair on Saturday.
Since I received the new whippen assembly from the manufacturer, I
just replaced the entire thing.
Problem solved.  The note sounds as it should.

Thanks again to all !
Mark

> Just find a centerpin that will be tight in the birdeye and ream the
flange bushing as
needed....

> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: mps at usol.com
> To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: Warranty Work Question
>

> >Thank you to all for their honest answers...
>
> >The situation here is that when I tuned this piano the client told
me
> >that another tech. had tried to repair this key. The problem
with the
> >key is that sometimes it plays, others not.
> >On inspection it is evident that the jack is sliding too far side to
side
> >and not going completely under the hammer butt to allow it to
play.
> >Upon pulling the action and whippen assembly, I can see that
the
> >birdeye at the jack flange is oval and jagged in shape. I'm
thinking this
> >is my problem and to correct this I should just replace the
entire
> >whippen assemblyand regulate this key.
>
> >The manufacturer has already sent me the whippen assembly
gratus.

> >I will take the knowledgeable advice given here and put it to
good use.

> >Thank you!
> >Mark

> >the call
variables I
> >guess.
> >>
> >> Dear Mark,
> >>  I've read several others' replies and thought I'd add my 2
cents. I
> >> suggest you call the manufacturer's rep back and clarify
with them
> >> your own policies. If that means (as others have
suggested) a
> >service
> >> call in which you evaluate the problem ($ X), and then
calling the
> >> company on a regular business day to tell them your
diagnosis and
> >> price for the actual repair ($ Y), getting them to confirm
they'll pay
> >> you Y dollars to do the repair (and of course the X dollars
for the
> >> diagnostic visit), you should be on very solid ground.
> >> Or you might give the rep a verbal quote based on what
you're
> >> expecting to find, and plan on fixing it on Saturday. DON'T
lowball
> >> your estimate because you may feel you want to "get in
good" with
> >this
> >> company, or because the  labor for hanging the hammers
or making
> >the
> >> key set was twenty-five cents in their Chinese factory!
> >> The manufacturer's warranty payment form may ask "if it
is a factory
> >> defect or a defect in workmanship of a previous technician"
for the
> >> most noble reasons: to improve quality control in the
factory &/or in
> >> dealer prep. For example, are the hammers clangy
and "like rocks"
> >> because that's the way they make them, or because some
over
> >zealous
> >> tech soaked them with way too  much plasic & acetone (or
other
> >> hardeners)? A "nice", forward thinking company would pay
you for
> >your
> >> repairs in either situation. A chintzy one may try to weasel
out of
> >> the situation, and suggest you bill the customer. IF
they're 100% up
> >> front about this policy, there should be no problem -- you
inform
> >the
> >> customer by phone ASAP (before you go out to his place)
that they
> >> *might* have a potential monetary liability.
> >> Last of all, are you certain you're competent at the job
ahead? If you
> >> have any doubts, that would be where you might
disappoint your