Aftertouch

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Nov 4 16:52:54 MST 2006

Aftertouch, of course is the amount the key moves after the jack clears the
knuckle. If it moves too much, the jack will compress the stop felt and may
contribute to some sponginess. Adjust your blow distance, letoff and dip to
get the right clearance on the knuckle. Once you do that, then there are
some other things that contribute to what you are feeling in aftertouch. One
of them is hammer drop. For really nice after touch you want minimal drop (I
learned this from watching a Shigeru tech do a prep). I use the PianoTech
regulating jig. After setting let off, I raise the drop until the hammer
just comes off that jig's rail, then bring it back down just a little more
than the rest position.

Make sure repitition spring is not too stiff.

Poor key frame set up can also adversely affect aftertouch. If the balance
mortises are not drilled deeply enough, the balance holes will bind on the
pin causing a spongy feeling.

Having the damper stop rail set too low can also cause a spongy feeling at
the bottom of key dip. You are trying to force the damper up higher than the
stop rail will allow.

Blessings,

Dean

  _____