Sonny's Of New York

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 4 10:58:45 MST 2006

Ditto. I read the description of the work claimed to have been done on the
piano - refinish, hammers, dampers, block, strings - seems like $8,500 would
be a reasonable price for that piano with that work done to it.

Now the problem arises when someone is looking for a real nice piano, spends
$8,500 (on what is claimed to be a real nice piano), and finds out that they
bought a 100 year old piano where everything was worn out and some things
were replaced.

In a case like this I would suggest that the owner is partly to blame
because they did not educate themselves and the seller is partly to blame
because they did what 98% of the folks that sell used pianos do - talk up an
old piano that has been partially rebuilt (of course, the rebuild tasks
focused on those that can be "seen") and suggest that piano is "THIS IS A
TRULY MAGNIFICENT INSTRUMENT...THE SOUND THAT EMANATES FROM THIS KNABE IS
NOTHING SHORT OF SUBLIME WITH A NEW HAND RUBBED SATIN FINISH THIS
COMBINATION GORGEOUS FURNTIURE PIECE AND FINE INTRUMENT IS FOR THE REFINED
CONISSEUR OF PIANOS."

I guess it is the way the game is played. One reason why I tend to stay away
from that game.....

Terry Farrell