The term "Tuning Hammer"??

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 3 10:48:54 MST 2006

Terry the Farrell said: "(I hate that term: hammer - where does that come
from?)

Terry et al,
The reason for this term is, that, in the early times these "wrenches" or
"levers", were, in fact, Hammers! They were "T" wrenches, with the top
cross handle intended to be used to hammer tuning pins into the wrest
plank. Some even had a stinging hook on them as well. Go figger. The term
seems to persist.<G> Personally, I don't object to the term, as it is a way
of differentiating from mechanics Wrenches. Merely semantics.<G> Besides,
what's wrong with "TRADITION", (as in the song from "Fiddler On The
Roof")????
Best Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police