Top Notes of Octaves Sound Flat

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Mon May 29 09:11:21 MDT 2006

I have noticed that the top notes of octaves sound a little flat in the treble, especially to my ears as a musician. I tuned the piano using the Accutuner SAT III after processing the FAC values. I also checked the octaves aurally using 3rd 10th or 3rd 17th tests and checked the top notes as a 4th or 5th interval with the notes below which sounded fine. What would you recommend? Should I try increasing the width of the octaves slightly by using the double octave beat feature of the SAT and see if that improves the situation?

I read in the January issue of the PTG Journal an interesting article about aural pitch perception by Jim Ellis, when a number of people were asked to decide whether an octave was in tune when the frequency of the top note was set at different values between -30 and +100 cents of the in-tune value. Some people thought it was in tune when the top note was slightly sharp, and maybe that is what I am experiencing here.

Robert Finley