On the Spiritual in Piano Technology

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat May 27 09:31:52 MDT 2006

Dear List:

Yesterday I gave a "What's inside a piano" talk to about 15 kids and their moms, arranged by one of my music teacher customers.  We did the talk at her church where we could see both grand and vertical pianos.

The minister sat in for a while, and asked to talk with me after.  In answer to a question I had said that two out-of-phase sound waves could partly or completely cancel each other.  He was excited by this image and said he wanted to shape a sermon around it.  I could not vouch for the Biblical correctness of my acoustics, but that was his business.

Later I mentioned this to the music teacher. "Oh!  Thank Heavens!" she said. "I'm so tired of hearing his sermons on famous football plays!"

Ed Sutton