[Files] Fw: 6 pictures for you

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu May 11 15:45:44 MDT 2006

>> List,
>>     Wing and son upright piano from around 1930 as best as I can tell.
>> Flat strung with this unusual strut behind the soundboard.
>> This piano is 200 cents flat and I don't know what to do !
>> I'm a pull it up to pitch guy,but this one makes me nervous.Thoughts?
>
> Only that if you don't like it, don't do it. Having a customer's approval
> to do something you're not comfortable with still leaves YOU standing in
> front of the thing stacking on tension.
>
> How did this come to be in the shop when these decisions are being made?
> Ron N

    Ron,
    My piano mover had the piano in storage as it was transitioning to the
next generation.
    I was asked to evaluate and suggest repair(if possible).
    I will be meeting with the lucky new owner next week.
    Tom D.

It looks like the wood post next to the bel canto bar is delaminating, and
the bass corner joint might be coming open.
You might consider drilling into the joints, injecting glue and driving home
a dowel to send the glue into the joints, and let dry before pulling to
pitch.
Ed Sutton

Ed, Correct--Very observant . That will be step one if I plunge ahead on
this gem.My main concerns are what happens after that!
    Tom D.