Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Fri May 5 14:00:40 MDT 2006

That's very interesting Diane. I wonder where this study can be found? I
remember when I was a student at university going into the student's union
building during a rock concert, and I couldn't stand the noise. It was so
deafening that I couldn't speak to the lady I was with without shouting and
making my voice go hoarse, and we had to leave because it was painful. I did
have a ringing in my ears and didn't go to any concerts like that again. I
guess that the players in the band gradually go deaf, and to compensate they
turn the volume higher and higher.

As far as a symphony orchestra is concerned, in some pieces, the volume is
loud during the fortissimo passes even at the back of the auditorium, so I
wonder what it must be like for an orchestral player or the conductor in the
middle of all of that. For a busy orchestra that plays almost every night,
rehearses and goes on tour, I wonder what the effect is on the conductor and
the players. I have never heard of a conductor going deaf (except Beethoven,
but I think that was due to an illness) or members of an orchestra retiring
due to hearing loss, but I wonder. As far as I know I haven't heard whether
any of the famous pianists such as Vladimir Horowitz ever had tinnitus or
other hearing problems. He played some thunderously loud pieces. I guess
some people are more vulnerable to this than others.

Robert Finley