Jack popped out

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu May 4 18:36:18 MDT 2006

Greetings,

        I had a customer call about a key that would not play. When I got
there and looked, at it the jack had flipped out from under the butt and was
'stuck' I simply lifted the hammer and pushed the jack back under. Then I asked if
she was doing some loud hefty playing, as in Beethoven when it happened, and
she said "Yes!...That's exactly what I was playing, Beethoven!".

       My question is should this even happen at all? The key was regulated
ok, no excessive space between jack and butt on a normal blow.  I have seen
pianos that were moved and tilted in such a way that the jacks popped foreward,
but very few while playing that this happened. It is a Baldwin/Hamilton console
from the 60's 70's era; a nice work horse of a piano.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA