Golden Rule? Health Insurance for RPT's?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Tue May 2 18:16:11 MDT 2006

Hi, Julie.

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I think I can answer. If PTG were our
employer, they probably could do that. But they're not - we (PTG) are an
association of (mostly) self-employed individuals residing in multiple
states. Until the laws are changed, so as to place oversight of health
insurers in the federal government (e.g. the Dept. of Labor) instead of
in the individual state governments, no single insurance company can (or
will) issue a policy to cover individuals residing in multiple states,
because every state has different laws and regulations. This is the
reason there needs to be legislative action to legalize Association
Health Plans (AHPs) otherwise known as Small Business Health Plans
(SBHPs). You can get an overview of this at http://tinyurl.com/mjqat . I
hope this helps.

-Mark Schecter