bass bridge removal

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue May 2 13:47:15 MDT 2006

Try to get a flat sharp chisel blade started under one end. Often  things
just give way & off it comes but ...Once a chisel is just started  under one end
take a nice flat block & place it right up next to the apron  with the block
firmly placed on the board then tap it with a light hammer blows  & usually
this convince the glue joint to give up.  Tap & move  the chisel.further in ..tap
move the chisel.  If a bit of wood comes off  ,dont' sweat it as it can be
glued on all bak together.  DOn't lose any  pieces.
  Dale

I would  first question whether there is any good reason to remove the bass
bridge  at all. Does the crack buzz? If the panel is well glued to the bridge

root, then I wouldn't think any buzz would originate from that area. So
maybe just shimming or epoxying up to that area would suffice. If you  really
want to get epoxy into that crack, what about going at it from the  bottom of
the soundboard?

If you do decide to remove the bridge, I  recommend a wide chisel and gently
chisel away at the base of the bridge  root and keep loosening it that way
until it comes free. To replace, clean  out loose/rough-splintered wood that
prevents the bridge returning to its  original position. Epoxy back in place.

I have never tried removing a  bridge with moisture and heat. Maybe it would
work. Others may chime in on  that subject.

Terry Farrell