Key Leads

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sun Jul 30 18:12:35 MDT 2006

I noticed the mention of key lead removal, and two thoughts came to mind. Removal is so easy using an old coach bolt and the hole in the block mentioned. I use the came bolt for the last process after pouring the lead to punch them tight into the key. However, I hack saw a few crisscross lines on the end of the bolt to give it a pattern.
Pouring the leads has been my preferred method rather than buying pr-made weights. I use a great little device from the U.K. called a 'LEE' lead pourer. It doubles up as a sinker maker for fishing, which I also enjoy.
The beauty of this device is that it is easy to use, and with care does not burn the wood.I have just finished a re-lead job on an old Ronisch piano, circa 1900. It was so bad, there was not one key not effected. However there were no split keys.
Cheers,
David Lawson Wangaratta Australia.